+ Reply to Thread

Thread: America hiring blue collar workers again

Exclamation America hiring blue collar workers again

This is at least some good news..............anyone feeling the growth out there?

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/04/news...truction_jobs/

Sal

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysal View Post
    This is at least some good news..............anyone feeling the growth out there?

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/04/news...truction_jobs/

Sal
    I know my university is expanding by leaps and bounds and retooling and there are lots of guys in hard hats and tool belts making a lot of noise around there. Just announced they're rennovating the Teachers' College to the tune of $16 mil. God knows where I'll be studying and working come this summer, but it' a good thing!!! Also gearing up to putting the entire university on a huge geothermal plant! Lots of digging going on.

That's very good news Pam!

Sal

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysal View Post
    That's very good news Pam!

Sal

I'm excited because the sun hasn't shown on east central Indiana in a long time. Now if I can only find ME a job when I get done with this degree. I have a student job in dining services that I love, but I could use a little more cash. Donkey food is getting expensive and my gate has only swung one way this year! (Actually, it was Madame that was expensive...high maintenance b$*(^!)

Not happening here.

The out of work list for my local union is in the hundreds. Many don't even call in anymore.
    There are probably 5 major jobs going on union wise while small jobs are being hacked up because of lower wages and bids which will end up being another nail in the coffin.

Here in Eugene, Oregon things are barely moving in residential construction. The subcontractors I work with are well established, but are only getting small jobs and repair work. There is some commercial construction at the UofO and Phil Knight has been pumping up our sports program by donating money for the construction of several new buildings. We are all hanging in there waiting to see what happens this spring.

I think it's time for an update. Enough of the gloom and doom. Construction is picking up here in Eugene, Oregon. I'm putting together a new crew and it looks like we will be busy until late fall with what I have in hand now. My subcontractors are telling me they are getting very busy as well. Perhaps those of us who suffered through the recession will be rewarded. If I get any busier, I'm going to raise my rates. Yahoo!

+ Reply to Thread