Mike and his parents tackle making a new commercial for Viva brand towels as Mike starts a new partnership with Kimberly-Clark.

Mike Rowe and His Parents Join Viva Brand Towels to Tackle Tough Messes

DALLAS, Feb. 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Mike Rowe knows dirt, and Viva brand towels know clean. This is the juxtaposition that makes the host of Discovery Channel’s Emmy®-nominated series Dirty Jobs a great fit with the integrated marketing campaign debuting for Viva brand towels. The campaign will showcase Mike Rowe in his dirty element, showing how Viva brand towels can handle his tough messes.

In the television execution of the campaign, Mike’s parents are featured in a “homecoming” scenario, using Viva brand towels as their go-to solution for Mike’s dirty messes.

“Featuring Mr. Rowe’s parents in a national campaign is a first,” said Geoffrey Golub, Viva brand manager. “No one knows better how to clean up after Mike than his parents, and in reality they are loyal Viva brand towel users.”

Developed by Kimberly-Clark with its Viva brand agency of record – Trisect, the campaign inspires consumers to try a Viva brand towel roll for themselves and grasp the unquilted difference of the fiber-packed, concentrated roll.

“Mike Rowe is the perfect partner for us to showcase our unique product design – begging the question, if Viva brand can handle Mike Rowe’s messes, just think of what it can do in your home,” said Golub.

“To be honest, I was surprised to get the call. I’m not exactly known for my commitment to cleanliness or my devotion to paper towels,” said Mike Rowe. “But the concept for the spot was really clever and frighteningly authentic. And the chance to get chased around on camera by my actual parents was frankly, irresistible.”

Airing from Feb. 14 to May 31, 2011, the television advertisement will run on both cable and national networks on a variety of shows including “The Today Show,” “Late Show with David Letterman” and “Top Chef.” The integrated marketing effort also includes FSI’s, retail shelf talks and online components including the branded website and social media efforts such as Facebook.

The partnership between Kimberly-Clark’s Viva brand towels and Mike Rowe includes a shared commitment to celebrating and supporting men and women in skilled trades, something Mike has been doing around his website, mikeroweWORKS.com. Kimberly-Clark has already shown their commitment to his cause, by making a donation in 2010 to the mikeroweWORKS Foundation.

View original press release – HERE.

1. His mom’s comment about her “fans” is ridiculous. Really-it’s a commercial. Who are her fans? All her friends.

Marilyn Ferreiro | 06/14/13 | 6:36 am
    2. I have watched Mike from his QVC days. I had to check if they were his parents. I see where he gets his good looks and nice ways.

Ann Kegler | 03/06/13 | 11:55 pm
    3. We love watching Mike Rowe in Dirty Jobs and to see him in a commercial with his REAL parents is very, very nice. What a nice family. We’re looking forward to more commercials with the three of them!

Maria Salgado | 02/28/12 | 6:17 pm
    4. I love Mike Rowe!!!!!!!! The commercial with his parents is adorable!!!!!!!
      Many commercials on t.v. bother me and I walk away from the t.v. but when I see any of Mike Rowe’s commercials, I watch!!!!!

audrey lutsky | 02/07/12 | 7:58 am
    5. I just saw this commercial for the first time and I loved it! What great parents, its easy to see why Mike is such a success!

Vince R | 02/03/12 | 7:32 pm
    6. I think making paper towels should be featured on DIrty Jobs. Mike could be so impressed by how they work that he goes to see how they are made.

Ann Tilden | 06/08/11 | 1:32 pm
    7. Viva towels are the bomb!!!! I have been using paper towels for 35 years and I have
      Never found a more durable paper towel! Great project and great
      Commercial Mike !

Deborah Seeley | 05/28/11 | 7:05 pm
    8. this ad is terrible!! I like Mike Rowe and to show him as an inconsiderate lout who barges in covered with mud is reprehensible. Yes,I do have a good sense of humor but whether this ad is meant to be tongue in cheek is beside the point. The point is, many young girls, too young to understand the “humor” get the message they must clean up after a man just like their mommy’s did ( and unusually, a dad too). The boys that think that is the way a woman should “care” for a man are not going to get a bright, capable woman. Please don’t continue undermining a woman’s position and promoting the “baby boy ” image.

anna belt | 05/12/11 | 10:08 am
    9. Yay Mike Rowe, yay Mike’s parents, yay Viva paper towels!!! I would buy any and everything Mike sponsers. Heck, I would even vote for him if he ran for President…

Sharon | 05/09/11 | 12:58 pm
    10. I, too, had to check to see if they were his real parents. I’m so glad they are! They raised an awesome son, and I’m sure they are proud. Glad they are in this commercial and hope they will be in more. And that they use Viva paper towels. I do, too and they are the BEST. Good luck and God bless to all the Rowe family.

Barbara Travis | 04/27/11 | 7:38 am
    11. I found this page while researching to see if those were Mike’s real parents! hahaha

I <3 Mike Rowe ! I work at Rocky Point Hardware and we sell and use Viva in the store. Too bad Viva doesn't make toilet paper, because we'd use that too! ;)

FallenAnjel | 04/25/11 | 7:57 am
    12. We are Viva users in this house…always have been. But to know that sexy Mike Rowe (and his lovely parents) endorse Viva, means we will continue to buy this great product. It’s true that if Viva can clean up “Mike Rowe” messes, it can sure handle anything the Webster family can dish out! We all enjoy watching Mike on his show, and in the Viva and Ford commercials…you just KNOW that the way he comes across, IS the way he is! And we love him! Keep up the good work, Michael…your parents must be very proud!!!

Deb Web | 04/20/11 | 9:08 pm
    13. The commercial is great!!!! Happy to hear that they are his real parents. I think Mike Rowe is great! Love dirty jobs – he is hystercial!! Mike – please keep that show going – you are terrific!!!! You look good in the Ford commercials too. P.S. I do use Viva paper Towels.

pat | 03/08/11 | 6:39 pm
    14. Soon as I saw the commercial, I had to see if it was truly Mike’s parents. What a treat! Viva came up with a great concept.

Carol | 03/03/11 | 7:30 pm
    15. Love the Viva commercial and love the fact that it is Mike’s real parents. Love Mike!!!

Jodi | 03/01/11 | 5:04 pm
    16. I absolutely LOVE the new Viva commercial!

Denise | 02/17/11 | 1:59 pm