THIS JUST IN FROM THE 2010 JAMBOREE:  Mike’s proposing these 6 Simple Tenets in Defense of Dirt:

1.)  I believe the willingness to get dirty is a fundamental requirement of civilized society.

2.)  I believe that God created dirt – not cleaning products.

3.)  I believe that a clean mind and a dirty body can walk around in the same skin.

4.)  I believe that honest work looks an awful lot like dirt.

5.)  I believe that without dirt, we don’t eat.

6.)  I believe that it’s absolutely, positively essential to play in the mud.

HEY - everybody out there – what do you all think about this?  Join in the mission of Dirty Jobs by endorsing or augmenting this Defense.  If you have additional suggestions, please say so.  Right there in the comment section.

We’re listening…

P.S. You can get yourself a Special Edition mrW In Defense of Dirt Tee right HERE!

Check out this video from Troop 734 from Central Florida that proves  these scouts are not afraid to get dirty! Big Stump Hike 2010
Boy Scouts if you have a video showing your troop is not afraid to get dirty post it in the comments below!

You are an inspiration to Scouts and Scouters, everywhere. There are many distinguished Scouts who have accomplished great things in their lives that they attribute to their experience in Scouting. All of those great achievements are worthy of our respect, and serve to honor the Scouting program. However, it is everyday dedication like yours, and the values that you espouse and promote, that really make Scouts and former Scouts stand out in this world. Thanks for your inspiration and your continued dedication to a movement that so many of us have come to cherish in our lives. Dirt Rules!

Yours In Scouting,
      Chris Orlando

Chris Orlando | 06/26/12 | 11:27 am
    2. I totally agree!

Eddy P.
      Troop 225
      Westlake, Ohio
      Eagle Scout-1997

Ed Podsiadlo | 04/22/12 | 3:11 pm
    3. I think that Mr.W is right. I myself is a scout rank in scouts and alot of the merit badges,,, Well you have to get dirty. so Mike if your reading this i agree about what you said at the Boy Scout Jamboree and on your web page.and just to say 3 more words: SCOUTING IS AWSOME ( and I Can`t dout that at all!!!!!!)

Caleb | 07/10/11 | 9:51 pm
    4. DIRT IS A GREAT EQUALIZER AMONG PEOPLE; EVERYONE EITHER WANTS THEIR OWN; OR DIRT TO SHARE.

JEANNE | 04/24/11 | 6:23 am
    5. I think its so great, your involvement in scouts!! My brother is the only boy out of 6 kids!! and the youngest! My dad is heavily involved in his scouting and overseeing other troops as well!! They hope to raise enough money to go to camporee this year!! I have a son myself, and hope to get him into scouts when he is old enough!!! Have any other fund raising ideas??
      Thank you for your time and effort into scouts, it really keeps boys sane in today’s world!!! Getting dirty, teamwork, volunteering, and loving it is what scouts is really about!!

Arielle Turner | 04/21/11 | 8:21 am
    6. My husband Lee Kopp is the boy scout leader of troop#86 in Elizabethville,PA. He became an Eagle scout in 1977 & now our son Baden became an Eagle scout in 2010. My daughter Aleeta, son, husband, & myself saw you at the Scout jamboree in Va. this summer. It was really great seeing you there. I agree with you, they should put something in the scout oath that its ok to get dirty as long as you clean up. We enjoyed seeing you there & watching your show.
      Sincerly,
      Elizabeth Kopp

Elizabeth Kopp | 02/26/11 | 7:17 pm
    7. Being dirty isn’t breaking the Scout Law but not getting clean is. Get dirty all you want but afterward clean up.

Colin Stubblefield | 02/22/11 | 6:36 pm
    8. I am part of the New Birth of Freedom Eagle Scout class of 2009 in York, PA, and I proudly defend dirt. I love doing projects when I get dirty! And I willing to try just about anything. Also, I enjoyed your speech at the 2010 Jambo! Long live Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe!

Andrew Redding | 02/10/11 | 6:21 pm
    9. Hi, Mike
      Have enjoyed your ”Dirty Jobs” show all along. You looked like a great, upstanding sort of guy with good values. You just ooze that kind of persona. Then, I found out you are an Eagle Scout. I was thrilled and not a bit surprised!
      I am the mother of TWO Eagles now and Assistant Scout Master of the Troop (& former Girl Scout). I wish I could have been at the Jamboree to see your speech. I am a huge fan of dirt. Nothing smells cleaner or makes me feel better than to tend to my garden with my bare hands. My sons were allowed to get as dirty as they wanted and always enjoyed playing in the yards of dirt we use for our garden every year. I love your 6 Tenets, but specifically relate and agree with numbers 1, 3, 5 and 6. I applaud your mikeroweWORKS endeavor! Keep up the great work you are doing for others. As you know, you are a marked man. Once an Eagle always an Eagle. Keep flying high.
      Carol L Hanrahan RN ~ Seaford, NY

Carol L Hanrahan RN | 01/28/11 | 9:49 pm
    10. Hey Mike, it’s me, the Second Class scout down the street! I’m so glad that you actually remember scouts after what? 20 some years? Well, I think it’s great that you are giving back.

Thanks, Nate Marz

By the way, love what you do for a living, looks scary, exciting, and weird sometimes.

Nate Marz | 01/28/11 | 5:55 pm
    11. Hi Mike,

I believe that no matter how hard you scrub, you can never get all the dirt out!

I believe that mud is good for the body and soul!

I believe that there is dignity in dirt!

Interesting fact: Did you know that there’s a term for the action of eating dirt? Geophagy. Apparently, there are some health benefits to eating dirt and/or clay.

Ciao,
      Zareen

Zareen | 01/04/11 | 9:37 pm
    12. Hey, Mike
      I’m a huge fan. I watch Dirty Jobs all the time.
      I am currently a Star scout in Troop 12, located in Edison, NJ. I hear what you say in the 6 tenets in defence of dirt and I totaly support it. When I become eagle, I am going to ask for your letter.
      I hope to follow in your footsteps someday.

Steven Langballe | 01/02/11 | 10:04 pm

I loved your presentation at the Jamboree. Your message was well received by my son who idolizes you. Thank you for your support of the Boy Scouts.

And as support for getting dirty, my mother used to say that the definition of erosion was me taking a shower after a Scout camping trip. May it always be so.

Mike Bruno | 12/15/10 | 6:16 pm
    14. Hi Mike,

I love the video that speech that you gave at the Jamboree a ton. You inspire me now and your show is the best thing ever. I agree that too i have been to Philmont and Seabase. You can not be clean on these trips you have to be dirty. I was at a Centennial Camporee in my home town they showed me that video and thought you would be there too. YOU ARE THE BEST MIKE AND YOU ROCK LIKE A ROCK STAR. I want to be like you in one movie on YouTube and trying to be in more….

Tyler Simmons | 10/31/10 | 12:29 pm
    15. I saw a video of the jamboree at the TX scouting campout last night.
      Those words are so true.

-John

John Luetzelschwab | 10/31/10 | 11:45 am
    16. Mr. Mike Rowe you are a great person in my mind set and I had the great privilege of going to the national jamboree of 2010. I love the speech you gave and I agree the 6 laws are great.

hunter | 10/22/10 | 5:35 am
    17. Mike, loved the Jambo speech, you got a bigger applause than the presidents video. {Not Surprised} I wrote to you as a dignitary, for my eagle. I am from Washburn, Maine and I have seen every episode, but I was wondering how can I get one of those cool Scout Dirt Shirts I really want one. You have an amazing life.
      Taylor
      See ya.

Taylor Skinner | 10/18/10 | 12:30 pm
    18. Hi Mike,
      I wanted to thank you for being part of what my son dubbed “the best summer ever!” He was able to be at Jambo & was so happy to see you (and make Mom jealous) and hear the message you gave in your fantastic way. He is now 15 and at Star rank with 26 merit badges & going for his Eagle! I know that the fact that it would put him into the same “club” that you are a part of helps his motivation. Our family thinks that a “dirty jobs” merit badge really IS a wonderful idea & would be glad to do whatever it takes to make it a reality. Your message about good hard, sometimes dirty work is gospel! The whole country needs to wake up & smell the dirt. I hope you have more meetings in DC & keep getting the message out. Thank you for everything you do.

Kim Wilburn | 10/15/10 | 10:01 am
      I ran across a clip of your talk on TED – a great speech. I had known that you were a fellow Eagle Scout, and had heard that you spoke at the 2010 National Scout Jamboree. I took this evening to google and find your speech at the Jamboree, and the search led me right to this website.

I am stunned and cannot agree with you more. You have given me a great deal to think about, but so far I cannot disagree with you at all.

We as a society have turned our back on jobs that are labeled as ‘trades’ instead of professions. We encourage our children to use their minds and not their backs or brawn. We hope for a better life for them, than what we have achieved for ourselves. Yet at the same time we lament the drudgery of office work and menial tasks and fail to see the joy in a job well done.

Thank you for all of your support of Scouting, and for your celebration of good jobs well done. And thank you for making us think and challenging us all as a society to work hard, be happy, and to remember the joy of an honest days work for an honest days wages, all while enjoying our efforts.

Clint Harmon
      Licensed Land Surveyor
      Eagle Scout – Troop 42 Stonewall Jackson Area Council – 1986

Clint Harmon | 10/04/10 | 9:02 pm
    20. Hey Mike I watch your show all the time. I’m a star and went to the jamboree with Annawan Council Massachusetts. Your troop reminds me of my own with games and people. Anyway wanted to say that your idea is genius and your speech was spoken about until now in my troop. Good luck with your next job!!!

Andrew Sharples | 10/01/10 | 1:12 pm
    21. I’m all for the new defense of dirt I’m part of unit 163 and I was in the FFA in High school.

Eddie Rich | 09/23/10 | 3:23 pm

Great speech at the Jambo. I attended the Lights Across America event in Jacksonville, FL.

Being an Eagle Scout and an Assistant Scoutmaster, I feel your “6 Simple Tenets in Defense of Dirt” hold full truth. It’s kinda hard to stay clean on a camp-out for a full weekend in a primitive site without showers. I’ve been on many trips with my the Scouts when I was a Scout and now being a Scouter. The one that comes to mind the most that pertains to this subject is Providence Canyons in Lumpkin, GA. When I went as a Scout in GA, I remember coming home orange from head to toe due to all of the Georgia red clay, but still had a blast. As a Scouter in FL, we took our troop to Providence Canyons, 15 years later, during a rainy weekend. The boys looked like Oompa-Loompas by mid-Saturday. It was one of the best trips our troop went on.

Being an Eagle Scout, yourself, you know that the Eagle Scout project is no clean and easy task. Most boys choose landscaping, rebuilding hiking trails, replacing fire-rings in campsites, replacing park benches and other similar jobs. No way can someone do that and stay clean. So, there is solid truth in what you say, “A Scout is clean… but not afraid to get dirty.”

Thanks for being one of the few Eagle Scouts that give back to the BSA.

Jason Cagle | 09/21/10 | 11:13 am
    23. Good job at Jambo troop 1914 enjoyed it thanks
      keepin dirty thigh high in manure.

Life Scout Hunter Tomlin | 09/14/10 | 4:22 pm
    24. Hey Mike,
      I totally agree with your tenets, in fact, I just ordered 3 dirt shirts. One each for me, and my two brothers … we were all in Boy Scouts and went 2 for 3 getting Eagle.

I just wish our “Class B” shirts were dirt shirts .. wonder if they’ll ever make a version out of the new Dri materials vs. cotton?
      P.S. if you ever feel dirt-deficient, check out Challenge Valley at Lewis & Clark Scout Camp, SD. My boys and I’ve NEVER been so dirty, or had so much fun

Mike Trantow | 09/14/10 | 3:10 pm
    25. Amen to that! Time to get dirty!

dianedo | 09/10/10 | 8:46 pm
    26. I totaly agree with you when you were here at the BSA Jamboree. A scout should be clean but not afraid to get dirty. oh and one more thing Mike Rowe, you ROCK.

Ryan Nelson | 09/08/10 | 8:32 pm
    27. Hello Mike,

Eagle Scout (1966). Thanks for this site. Excellent info and inspiration for a lot of people. Saw your work on the http://www.gobuildalabama.com/video/ site and I added links and info to the Clay County Alabama Chamber of Commerce site I manage – http://claycochamber.com/. And you’re right, the Boy Scout uniform WAS meant to get dirty. Thanks for spreading the “dirt” on the real world.

Richard Arnold | 09/07/10 | 7:27 pm
    28. From one Mike to another,
      I have worked construction for the past 39 years and agree with you 100% about hard work. I started in construction after Vietnam and found it very rewarding. I have worked my way from a welder to Foreman to Superintendent to Project Manager all without a college education. We need more young men in our construction work force and we need them now. This country was built by sweat and hard work and there isn’t a thing wrong with that. Blue collar workers rock. They are the backbone of this country. Let me know if I can help in any way with the Alabama Project I just live in Tennessee.
      Mike Reed

Mike Reed | 09/07/10 | 3:53 am
    29. Great speech Mike, you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for working so hard to help make the country right again, I’m behind you all the way. Hard work is what made this country Great!

Steve

Steve Gaylor | 09/06/10 | 4:29 pm
    30. I’d love it if you’d make more of your temporary patch supporting scouts getting dirty (non jamboree of course) so I could wear it on my uniform! We already have your shirt ordered. My favorite scouting picture is Troop 219 covered in sawdust and paint after working on my eagle project. Here’s to dirty scouts everywhere!

Alan Peters | 09/06/10 | 9:47 am
      Your speach at the Jambo was spot on. I wish that I had a DVD of your speach to show to all my current and upcomming Scouts. As an Eagle myself I can agree with all that you stand for and applaud your efforts. Thank you for the motivational speech you gave and good luck in your future endevors.
      Yours in Scouting,
      Richard Stramel
      Dist. Commissioner
      Buffalo Bill Dist.
      Coronado Council

Richard Stramel | 09/06/10 | 1:47 am
    32. As fellow Eagle I am in full agreement with your tenents! A scout is clean on the inside but is almost always dirty on the outside!
      Tenent 7? Our bodies were created from dirt!

Jacob Dronenburg | 08/31/10 | 7:18 pm
    33. I am a fellow Eagle scout and that was a great speech and I agree with everything you said. Getting dirty is one of the best things about scouts.

Jonathan | 08/29/10 | 6:22 pm
    34. My son has been a scout since Tiger Cubs. He is now a Life Scout in Troop 101 in Temple, TX. One of the best camping trips our troop takes is to the ranch of Drayton McLane, owner of the Astros baseball team. He allows Pack/Troop 101 to camp there every spring. About getting dirty: When my son’s pack would go camping there, they would play in a gully about 6 feet deep that had red dirt. When the dirt was mixed with water, it looked like peanut butter. The dirt was so red it never washed out of their clothes, so they always had to wear old clothes. To this day, the boys joke about playing in the “peanut butter”. You should go camping with us in the spring! Drayton has several large lakes on 4,400 acres. The fishing is the best ever!

Catherine Smith | 08/26/10 | 2:09 pm
    35. I loved your speech at the Jamboree it was one of my favorite highlights of the Jamboree.I believe that God created dirt – not cleaning products.

patrick sause | 08/26/10 | 6:54 am
    36. “A scout is clean, but not afraid to get dirty” I totally agree with this. Especially with the first one “I believe the willingness to get dirty is a fundamental requirement of civilized society.” Mike Rowe was by no doubt the best speaker at the arena show as well as the best part of both arena shows at the 2010 National Jamboree. They keep saying to be clean but with all the work and volunteer work they have us do have you ever seen a truly clean scout unless it’s a court of honor. I sure don’t.

Thanks Mike Rowe for coming to the 2010 National Jamboree and hope to see you at the 2013 National Scout Jamboree in West Virgina.

Christopher Collins | 08/25/10 | 1:39 pm
    37. Hey Mike I was a Jamboree and I loved it. I love your show and I would love if we got a Dirty Jobs merit badge okayed and I think it is time TO GET DIRTY!!!!

corey from north dakota | 08/25/10 | 7:33 am
    38. Hey, Mike, thanks again for the great address you gave to us at the National Jamboree. I was on staff, at Trading Post B, and we “lived” the Dirty Jobs lifestyle each time it rained and the creek through our Army tent came alive! Mud and straw, just like a horse barn. My bunkie caught a fish!
      I enjoyed your message, and appreciate you taking the time to be there, unlike a certain other known personality in our United states….well, anyway, you have inspired me to invite the boys in my troop, as their Scout Master, to find the dirtiest outing we can find in the coming year, then enjoy and document it, and then send the results to you. Maybe it’ll be the fist installment of a new TV series, “Dirty Scouts”. Oops, maybe another name…..oh darn, forget it (or not?). Ha, ha. LOL

Thanks again,
      T. Dawson, SM, Troop 4, Hopkinton, MA
      (home of the start of the yearly Boston Marathon)

Thomas A. Dawson | 08/24/10 | 8:23 pm
    39. Great job at the National Jamboree it think that I am just like you shy and a little scared when I went to my first meeting but now I am working my way this year to become a Eagle Scout so when I do become a Eagle Scout I was wondering if you would like to come to my Eagle Ceremony? I think that all the younger scouts would really like seeing the man that wakes up and goes and get dirty for a living.

Jonathan | 08/23/10 | 9:36 am
    40. I love the speech at the Jamboree. I am all for geting dirty, my Jamboree troop was 1236. I am in the AO. Go AO!

daniel cash | 08/22/10 | 7:13 pm
    41. I completely agree that a scout shoulc be clean, but be willing to get dirty. In the Order of the Arrow, you are not supposed to clean your sash to show that you have gotten dirty and done cheerful service.

Jonathan | 08/22/10 | 8:05 am
    42. I agree 100% with the 6 rules. Loved the speach you made at the Jambo. Just got my shirt in the mail. Thanks Mike.

William Woithe
      Eagle Scout Troop 172 Dover, NH 1/31/01

william Woithe | 08/21/10 | 11:50 pm
    43. Hello Mike,I am Scoutmaster for Troop174 in Troutman N.C. I encourge my scouts to get dirty at every possible chance. We were at Jambo and you were GREAT. Hope you stay involed with the scouting program,you could really help recruit.Come see us.

Frank Hall | 08/21/10 | 6:47 pm
    44. Some people say that concrete supports the buildings and therefore the people in those buildings.
      But dirt supports the concrete.

P.S. A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, but not afraid to get dirty, and reverent.

Jake Smith | 08/21/10 | 3:42 pm
    45. Mike, I am on my third class A shirt! Now that’s getting
      into dirt.

Garrett Peterson | 08/21/10 | 1:20 pm
    46. Hey Mike when you were at the 2010 Jamboree, I was one of the US Army Soldiers you took a picture with the first day you arrived and I was wondering if there was anyway I could have that picture so I can send it to everyone else that was in that Picture. Thanks you so much Sir! I hope you had fun and are staying safe!

Spec. David Shoemaker | 08/21/10 | 9:01 am
    47. Hey Mike,
      I just wanted to say I loved your speech and the fact that you represent the ideals I want my troop to work on (I’m Senior Patrol Leader). I was wondering if you were going to send out a petition, because this would be a great idea. Glad I could be at the Jamboree.

Corwin Dickey | 08/20/10 | 10:47 am
    48. Hey Mike,
      Great speech, it was one of my favorite parts of that night (I’m from Baltimore and our section went wild when you announced your troop was there). Completely agree with your slogan, great job!

Kurt Hufker | 08/18/10 | 3:37 pm
    49. I was there when Mike gave his speech at the Jamboree. I thought it was the best part, and I totally agree with everything that he said! Just wanted to say, I’m a big fan! Keep the dirt coming!

Trevor | 08/17/10 | 8:11 pm
    50. Nice job at Jambo
      1.) I believe the willingness to get dirty is a fundamental requirement of civilized society.
      2.) I believe that God created dirt – not cleaning products.
      3.) I believe that a clean mind and a dirty body can walk around in the same skin.
      4.) I believe that honest work looks an awful lot like dirt.
      5.) I believe that without dirt, we don’t eat.
      6.) I believe that it’s absolutely, positively essential to play in the mud.
      Tim Miller
      Where can get a dirty shirt thank to Mike Rowe?

Tim Miller | 08/17/10 | 7:45 am
    51. Amen and amen. Pure poetry. Dirt *is* the meaning of life. God bless dirt!

Kimberly | 08/17/10 | 12:59 am
    52. Fantastic job at the Jamboree. Words to live by if you are a scout or not. Where can I git a Dirty Jobs patch I couldn’t find them at the Jamboree thanks and keep up the good work.

James Richardson | 08/16/10 | 2:11 pm
    53. This presentation should be seen by every Scout and Scouter. I saw it at the Shining Light program at the Clevenad Museum of Natural History and realized that Mike’s views reflect the best in the Scouting program. I was a big fan of Mike’s before, not just due to my 6’7″ size, but am a bigger fan of Mike’s now since hearing this and checking out his website. Thank you for all the work you do. Please continue since it does make a difference.

John Sanders | 08/16/10 | 10:17 am
    54. Mike -
      Had the pleasure of being on Jambo Staff this year and seeing in person at the Arena Show!

Your talk was taken to heart by the Longhorn TX troop I sat with. The boy could only talk about how to live your vision.

Thanks for your time and support of the Boay Scouts.

Pat Lynch | 08/15/10 | 1:23 pm
    55. Hey National
      How about a Dirt Merit Badge ?
      Archer

Archer | 08/14/10 | 5:37 pm
    56. Mike I love your show it makes me laugh every time I watch it. My dad loves your show to. Hey also thanks for coming to the Jamberee and I love the shirt you had on I like what it said.

Sincerly,
      Dominic Reichley

Dominic Reichley | 08/14/10 | 4:16 pm
    57. Great speech I watched it at Grand Island, NE at a merit badge University. My troop is thinking about playing swing the thing and British Bulldog.

Zach Wharton | 08/13/10 | 9:05 am
    58. My fondest memories of being a scout are ones of camping in the rain and trudging through the mud in the Klondike Derby. I was always happiest when I was at my dirtiest. I’ll never forget being a scout or my life long friends that I made in my troop. And now I’m the leader of my sons Wolf Den and I can’t be more proud of him and my other boys. Thank you Mike for being a supporter of scouting and being an inspiration to young scouts across the county

JOE | 08/13/10 | 7:42 am
    59. I have always looked up to you and believe too that Clean = Dirty. Your OA Sash, T-Shirt, & Uniform must be Dirty to show you are doing a Good Turn Daily and giving Cheerful Service. I was not a Scout as a kid (did the ball thing) but I will be in this world wide Scouting movement for the rest of my life. I have been privileged to meet tons of important people in my life but YOU (Mike Rowe) have been the BEST!!! Keep up the Scouting way and we all hope to see you very soon. God speed Mike Rowe! 0:-)

M. Kent Galyon | 08/13/10 | 6:08 am
    60. I have a 30 year old Eagle Scout son who is a Police Officer and a 32 year old Gold Award Girl Scout daughter (2) grandsons, & (2) GirlScout granddaughter. My wife has a 30 & 24 year old daughters and (1) granddaughter. We both believie in getting Dirty to be Clean in our lives… that’s (2) YESs on our vote.

Kent Galyon | 08/13/10 | 6:04 am
    61. Mike, I have always looked up to you and believe too that Clean = Dirty. Your OA Sash, T-Shirt, & Uniform must be Dirty to show you are doing a Good Turn Daily and giving Cheerful Service. I was not a Scout as a kid (did the ball thing) but I will be in this world wide Scouting movement for the rest of my life. I have been privileged to meet tons of important people in my life but YOU (Mike Rowe) have been the BEST!!! Keep up the Scouting way and we all hope to see you very soon. God speed Mike Rowe! 0:-)

Kent Galyon | 08/13/10 | 5:59 am
    62. I’m sure you are familiar with the Order of the Arrow, well in Defense of Dirt I believe that if an Arrowmen is wearing a pristine sash that is not in plastic, they are not doing their part to serve cheerfully or promote camping. I believe that a dirty sash is proof of experience and and a good ol’ time.

I was lucky enough to be @ the 2010 Jambo and I was wondering if I could send you my Jambo hat and uniform shirt and ask you to sign it and send it back?

yours in scouting,
      Ryan Kelly
      ambo troop 1631

Ryan Kelly BSA Jambo Troop 1631 | 08/12/10 | 6:21 pm
    63. Hey Mike, remember how you talked about swing the thing? Well now my entire council is playing swing the thing! Thanks for telling the Boy Scouts of America about the game invented by a idiot! I also agree to your tenets for the defense of dirt. GO DIRT!

orlando | 08/12/10 | 2:08 pm
    64. Hey Mike, I just want to say great job down at the Jamboree. I was there and you were an inspiration to me. I really enjoyed your childhood story about you becoming an eagle scout. I 100% agree with your 6 defense of dirt laws and I just want to say thank you for being a role model and giving back to us scouts.
      -Austin, Troop 40 wrights corners NY

Austin Herman | 08/12/10 | 1:22 pm
    65. The cubbies from pack 419 in Madison Maine love to get dirty but hate to get clean. We love your show and support dirt!

Ashton Heald | 08/12/10 | 11:22 am
    66. You speak the truth!

sean | 08/12/10 | 8:43 am
      I think your next T-shirt should have the 6 Simple Tenets in Defense of Dirt on the back. Cannot wait to see it and order it.

Richard Tyson | 08/11/10 | 1:36 pm
    68. I am getting dirty all the time; I have volunteered at all but 2 of about 10 eagle projects for my 3 yrs in scouts. Getting dirty is a necessity and it is also very fun to do. I saw the video; couldn’t be there in person but all that stuff about getting dirty is true.

Like your show!

Austin Taylor | 08/11/10 | 11:08 am
    69. I was one of the Assistant Scoutmasters at the Jamboree. I loved your speech and also believe a Scout should not be afraid to get dirty!

TYLER COLEMAN | 08/11/10 | 10:20 am
    70. Mike– I was there and you were awesome! Where can I get a copy to replay to the boys in my troop?

John Dickinson | 08/10/10 | 9:35 pm
    71. We agree wholeheartedly! We are 15, 13, and 10 (Life,Star,and Webelos). We started watching your show on Discovery a few years ago and we instantly fell in love! One of the best shows out there! We all agree that you were the highlight of the arena show. And we vote that you become the unofficial, official Mascot of “Scouts getting Dirty”. Can you please write at least a list of requirements for the Dirty Jobs merit badge so I can show it to my scoutmaster and make it official?

PS: Now I know how to play British Bulldog, it is outlawed :(

Jensen Boys | 08/10/10 | 9:22 pm
    72. Mike, we have a saying in our Order of the Arrow lodge that goes “A dirty sash is a happy sash.” And how does a sash get dirty? By being worn by an Arrowman who is fulfilling his obligation to cheerful service.

I heard your message to the lads at Jambo here at home through the internet stream. JOB WELL DONE. You are most welcome to get dirty with my boys in Troop 75 anytime. We’ll even make time to play Swing the Thing with you.

Elias Ellefson | 08/10/10 | 7:34 pm
    73. I did a Cubmasters Minute recently about the bacteria they found in dirt that is tied to intelligence. Hey, we already knew it, but Scouting definitely makes you smarter, just by getting us out in the dirt. Check out info about a common bacteria – Mycobacterium vaccae – and it’s links to intellectual developement. It is very funny now when my boy comes in covered in dirt and just says “I’m getting smarter!!!”

Craig Cherry | 08/10/10 | 7:28 pm
    74. Hey Mike!
      I’m a Life Scout rigth now, but not to far from Eagle. I loved your speech and 6 Simple Tenets in Defense of Dirt at Jambo. Your right, a scout needs to be dirty to get clean… and what scout doesn’t get dirty at camp.

P.S. Tenet #2 is my fav

Paul | 08/10/10 | 5:20 pm
    75. Mr.Rowe you are probably the only man in America that really likes to get dirty. I really appreciate you coming to the Jamboree. Your show is the best show on tv. It is the only show I really care to watch actually. Right now I’m almost about to get life in Boy Scouts and then I will strive to reach the rank of Eagle. If you are going to be at the next Jamboree I will see you there.

Cole Welch | 08/10/10 | 2:46 pm
    76. If you remember me I’m the one who saw you at the Chicago O’Hare airport, and asked you about your Eagle Project. All of my friends are jealous!!!!!!!

caleb klusaw | 08/10/10 | 2:36 pm
    77. I was there Mike. You could not have been said better. I used to play British Bulldog and would get bloody noses, all scratched up, and torn uniform–great game. You REALLY connected with the Scouts, and all of us. Thank you.

Frank Mills | 08/10/10 | 2:29 pm

Great speech.

“Dirty Jobs” merit badge – ABSOLUTELY! Might have to change the name a bit to keep it from being commercial.

In defense of dirt. Again, right on. While leading a Cub Pack at Camp Lassen, CA I first heard, and have often repeated “God made dirt, Dirt don’t hurt”.

And lastly, my youngest son is his Board of Review away from Eagle. After seeing your speech he would be thrilled to get one of your shirts (personalized) to acknowledge his advancement to Eagle. Is there a way to request this when I order him a shirt?

C. Mitchell | 08/10/10 | 11:36 am
    79. I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roberto Cruz | 08/10/10 | 10:49 am
    80. Hey Mike! My name is Mark, and I just held my Eagle Court of Honor. It is all to true for me that I do not know where I would be without the scouts. I like what you said in your wonderful speech at the Jamboree, I was also tall uncoordinated child, and did not play a lot of sports. What sports I did play I was rotten at. And after getting pounded every day at practice, it was nice to get a chance once a week to do something that I not only enjoyed, but was good at. Unlike you, I intended to go to the next meeting after the first. I was not beat to a pulp the first meeting. That sacred right was saved till my first winter camp out, which in cahoots with my second winter camp out was the only thing that ever got me to consider quitting. And now, winter is my favorite time to camp. I just want you to know that as a fellow scout, I salute you and your cause. I believe that getting dirty is necessary, and that those who don’t, are going to have a very hard time making it in the world. I want to thank you for being a large inspiration in my scouting career as well as my life, and wish you the best of luck on all of your up and coming jobs. This website was a fantastic idea, and I will probably spend way to much time on it.

Good luck and Best Wishes,
      Mark Bryant

Mark Bryant | 08/09/10 | 8:28 pm
    81. Awesome speech at the Jamboree. I recorded the entire thing using my digital camera. I like the 6 Simple Tenets in Defense of Dirt. You should make a Facebook page just for it. Im serious about that too.

Matthew Blackburn | 08/09/10 | 8:02 pm
    82. Mike, I’m including your comments in my letter to my son when he completes his Eagle rank!

Tim Strickland | 08/09/10 | 7:34 pm
    83. Well done, Mr. Rowe!! Thanks so much for being the best part of the 100th Anniversary BSA National Jamboree!

Steve Sookikian | 08/09/10 | 6:23 pm
    84. Thanks a lot, Mike. My 12-yr-old son was at Jambo and took your advice to heart immediately. He didn’t shower for the next four days and came home…well, you can imagine!

Jen Sherwood | 08/09/10 | 3:00 pm
    85. Mike I loved your speech. I got one of your Dirt Shirts. I am a Life scout I will be a Eagle very soon. I just wanted to tell you that your speech inspired me. So thank you for all you do.

Nathan Van Meter | 08/09/10 | 1:53 pm